Thursday, May 22, 2008

Simple Things

After Hurricane Katrina, I had an epiphany of sorts (you like that? I used a big word...L, don't be mad).

I was always someone who really didn't care what people thought of me but at the same time, I took care not to do anything that embarrassed me or light of my life too much. I know that's a contradiction but it's more like I didn't care what people thought of me as a whole but I did get embarrassed if I made a huge faux pas or tripped and fell or something like that.

Anyway, after Katrina, I took it up a notch.

I decided to start letting myself enjoy the simple things in life. I've always enjoyed the simple things in life but I "realized" this about myself and due to this enlightenment, it increased my enjoyment tenfold.

Example:

Because my mom's down in New Orleans, light of my life is having to ride the bus to my grandmother's house in the afternoon and she's being looked after by my other aunt who's up for a visit.

I'm to call them when I'm about 15 minutes or so away from home and she'll meet me at the house with my daughter in tow on their way to taking my grandmother to walk at a local walking track.

Well, I called yesterday and my aunt said that they weren't ready yet and that she would just bring her home when they were done doing whatever it was they were doing.

I said, OK, and hung up.

I got home and was at a loss for what to do. I knew I needed to get dinner started, but since it just consisted of thawing some tilipia fillets and then putting them in the fridge to marinate in a lime cilantro sauce, that wouldn't fill up my time.

The house was also awfully quiet without light of my life and my mom there.

So, I poured myself a glass of red zin, grabbed my book (World Without End by Ken Follet for those of you who what to know....wonderful, wonderful sequel to The Pillars of the Earth), and went out on the front porch to sit in my swing and read.

The weather was gorgeous and there was a slight breeze.

This was nice....however, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't completely satisfied by this. I wanted something more.

I stared out at my yard and saw the wild rose bush. I got some clippers and a glove and went and cut some flowers to put in a small vase to brighten up the house.

As I came back towards the house, I decided to sit down in the grass on the small hill to pick the thorns off the roses.

As soon as I sat down in the grass, I knew what I needed.

I needed to lay down...in the grass...and watch the clouds.

So.....that's what I did.

What it did for my soul, I can never describe. That reconnection with the outdoors did more for my soul and psyche in 15 minutes than anything has ever done before.

To just sit there without any external distractions (iPod, TV, books, refreshments, etc...) and stare up at the sky and listen to the buzzing of the bees in the trees and the smell of fresh cut grass and the feel of a few small bugs (nothing that bites) crawling on me occasionally, it was heaven.

I live right off the highway so cars were going by and I'm sure that they thought I was crazy (I live in a very small town....2000 people or so, so I'm sure that word will get around about the crazy lady that lays in the yard).

With all the hectic things that go on in our everyday lives, it's nice to be able to stop every once in a while and lay in the grass looking up at the clouds.

Anybody else have any simple things that they use to relax or get enjoyment out of?

Let me know.

Later,

Mama Dawg

6 really cool people who give a rat's patootie:

Heather

My thing is to get up really early and drink my coffee in my silent house.

My dad lives across Lake Ponchatrain and he's said the same thing as you did. Experiencing the destruction of Katrina made him much more appreciative of the little things.

I'm glad you took the time to watch the clouds. Maybe you inspired someone driving by to go home and do the same.

Mama Dawg

Thanks! That's a cool thought. Of course, I live in such a conservative place, they probably went home and gave their child a lecture on the dangers of drug use. "I was driving home today and saw someone just laying in the grass...this is what happens when you smoke pot". LOL!

KatBouska

I go for drives. Right now with the kids so little it's hard to steal ANY quiet moments...and even when it is quiet, I don't really stop. So I guess mine would be driving.

But boy laying in the sun watching the clouds sounds nice...maybe you just inspired ME to do the same.

scargosun

Heavenly. Sadly, right now I don't have something like that. I need to find one though b/c my brain is on it's last cell. ;)

Mama Dawg

Good. I love to inspire!

Mama Dawg
This comment has been removed by the author.
© Two Dogs Running…all rights reserved

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP