Friday, May 16, 2008

Gotta Get Serious For A Second

For those of you who don't know what part of the country I currently live in, I'm in the Deep South.

So that might explain the following story my grandmother told me yesterday.

She said that on election days, she gets recorded phone calls from candidates wanting her vote. Typical. Most people get these.

However, she got a really strange RECORDED call. Not a live call, but a RECORDED one.

She said when she picked up the phone, it was a recording saying it was the Klu Klux Klan calling. She didn't even wait for it to finish before she slammed down the phone.

Do they even still exist? Am I that naive to believe that I thought they had disappeared? I know that there are underground groups everywhere for atrocious groups that really ought to be obsolete but to cold call someone for whatever reason? Really?

I've lived in the Deep South for most of my life and this is the first I've heard of it. My grandmother has lived here ALL her life and this is the first time it's happened to her.

I'm hoping that she misunderstood, but if not....this worries me.

What do y'all think? Anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Disturbed,

Mama Dawg

4 really cool people who give a rat's patootie:

Buffy

I want to say this suprises me.

It doesn't.

*sigh*

scargosun

The KKK is alive and well and unfortuantely somewhat active in the central part of .... PENNSYLVANIA! That's right, the south does not corner the market on the KKK. Remind me sometime to tell you about my run in with them. It will be an "NC Days" post.

TerriRainer

News to me, but hardly surprised.

Ignorance is alive and well in all parts of the world...why would the south be any different?

:) Terri

I Am Woody

Bigots are alive and well. A few years ago, we had some friends visit us from New York City. They are originally from the Dominican Republic, which meant they weren't lily white. After a great afternoon of sipping lemonade on the front porch, we were greeted the next morning with every window in their car smashed! Nothing on ours was touched. They said they had not set the car alarm because they had felt so safe and comfortable. We were shocked to learn that we were living in a community where things like this still exist.

© Two Dogs Running…all rights reserved

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP