Friday, June 12, 2009

We're Off To See The Wizard...

...or, more accurately, Sorcerer Mickey!

We left at the ungodly hour of 3 a.m. We were smart and had packed the car to the gills on Saturday night. Mom and LOML were in bed by like 9 and I didn't crawl/collapse until around 11 but that was o.k. since mom was taking the first leg of the trip.

The morning ride was uneventful and we arrived in Alabama for breakfast.

We decided to stop at a local watering hole. I could have sworn I had heard of the Waffle House before but the locals insisted that it was the only one on earth.




Then again, these were the locals I talked to and I don't believe they have been anywhere other than the farm. Eh, whatcha gonna do? Can't talk to a stubborn ass now can you?





Seriously, if you ever wondered how the Waffle House was able to sell their steaks so cheaply, I got a glimmer of an idea how.




You're probably wondering exactly WHY I took pictures of livestock while in Alabama at a Waffle House? No? Well, I'll tell you anyway. It's because they were there. I mean, rightthere up against the fence. It was awesome!

A gazillion hours later, we arrived at Mecca (or as the locals call it, their money maker). This is probably one of my most favorite sights on earth EVER!




We have a tradition on our first night and it includes ordering pizza to our room and drinking it down with orange Fanta. We did that the first two trips, so now it's a tradition. I was dreading getting the pizza because the last two trips it was just blah, but they must have changed up the pizza because this time, it was much better. I actually enjoyed it.





Yeah, those are bing cherries. We always bring food from home. We love our fruit and would rather bring it than pay for it.

Here's LOML chillaxin' and eating her pizza. I love how she's the one to chill out and watch t.v. while mom and I are checking in, unloading the car, ordering pizza, unpacking, etc.......Ah, to be a kid again!





Here's our view. I love Pop Century. The ambiance is so family friendly and just completely awesome. We were lucky enough to be in the 60's building at the back. It was so quiet. It was a long walk, but the quiet more than made up for it.





LOML decided she wanted to swim after eating so I let her get in her suit and jump in the pool. We stayed for about half an hour or so.





Here's a vid of her doing a flip. She's so proud!




That was our first day of our vacation. I'll post more soon!

Later,

Mama Dawg

19 really cool people who give a rat's patootie:

Larkin

Is that a mule? Can I have him please? I'll pay for shipping.

I love the tradition, what could better that pizza and orange Fanta? NOTHING! Except, maybe being at Disney World and having pizza and Fanta.

sassy stephanie

Wow! I had no idea LOML was part dolphin!

Keys to the Magic Travel

Way back in the dark ages, I used to teach a intro Cultural Anthropology class at Georgia State. And in the chapter on religion, there is a section on religious pilgramages. And Disney World is listed as one of them!

I cannot wait till September to head to Mecca myself...

Jaden Paige

Now you've got me clicking over to their site, wondering how I can pull off a surprise vacation next year... hmmm... ;)

Kelly

We always left at the ass crack of dawn to go on those LONG car rides!! I cannot wait to "hear" more!!!

Bijoux

For the love of Pete, remove those bedspreads before LOML sits on the bed!!!!! You don't know who's ass has been on there!

OK - I feel better now. Looks like fun so far....we have those weird traditions too.

Jess

WAFFLE HOUSE! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love Waffle House...and pizza...and Fanta...and Disney...oh damn, I should have gone...

Pseudo

I'm so excited you are going to take us day by day.

We drove from DC to Savannah Georgia and stopped twice along I-95. I think North and South Carolina. We ate at fast food joints. Stupid us.

Teri

Cool pix. I am totally getting into your pizza and orange Fanta tradition. Junk food heaven at its finest.

And Waffle House is a sweet deal. Except my husband won't eat there when I take the kids. Patty melts, yum.

Trooper Thorn

Pizza in a hotel room is better than caviar in a fancy restaurant and I'll fight anybody that says different.

Jen

Love the first night tradition. We've always had a dinner reservation for the first night and it is usually miserable after traveling all day. I'm going to switch to this idea from now on!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip. Hope it went well!

Together We Save

Looks like you are have a great time. I loved our visit to Mickey's House a couple of years back.

Julie H

We live closer to the "other" mouse house so I have never been to the "world". Looking forward to seeing your vacation!

Julie H

We live closer to the "other" mouse house so I have never been to the "world". Looking forward to seeing your vacation!

Captain Dumbass

I wonder if I'll ever get to go to Disneyland?

The Nice One

Wish I was there!
Hope you have a super duper time!

Swirl Girl

Sounds like you had a great start to your vacation!

fanta ,pizza and pool flipping = pardise

Swirl Girl

Sounds like you had a great start to your vacation!

fanta ,pizza and pool flipping = pardise

Someone

Great flip LOML! Can't wait to see more pics, looks like it was a great trip!

© Two Dogs Running…all rights reserved

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP