Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Tale of Betrayal

Kat, from over at 3 Bedroom Bungalow, graciously let me let her guest post over here. I like to think that Kat adds a touch of class over here at my place. That is until Jess, Kat and I get to talking about all the kinds of red we're going to paint Savannah when we all get together (when is that Kat?) at some point in the future. Below is a perfect example of the awesomeness that IS Kat.

Hi everyone. It's me, Kat from over at 3 Bedroom Bungalow. Wow, I feel like I just introduced myself at an AA meeting. Not that Mama Dawgs place is anything like an AA meeting or anything...anyhooo. (Geez I better shut up before Mama Dawg kicks my ass). Ok for those who don't know me, I an American living in England. My husband is in the Air Force and I have two little girls; LaLa is 5 and KiKi is about to turn 3. Pay attention you will need this information later. We have lived here in England since November. While we love it here there are a few things that we really do miss from back home. This is a tale about one of those things.

The village that my family and I live in is really small. I literally could walk around the the outside of the village and it would take about 40 minutes. It is small. In the village we have a convenience store, a news stand (which is also a post office), a dog groomer, a kabob shop and...oh there is a used car place. That is about it. Needless to say, moving from the States there are a few things that we don't get to enjoy very often. The other day my husband committed a huge sin. HUGE. On a scale of 1-10 this was a big fat 10.

See he ended up running to a town (Bury) that is about 30 min away to visit a music store. It is a fairly large town, actually it is more of a city. It has several shopping areas, a cinema, and the holy grail of all that is American- A McDonald's. Yes, a Mickie D's people! Now before we moved here, my family at McDonald's a lot. And by a lot I mean, at least once a week. Call me lazy, but I don't like to cook every single night. Plus, my kids love it, so it was a win win situation for me at the time. Since we have been here, my kids have ate at McDonald's twice. Once when we were in London with my parents in February. Once when we were in Cambridge in early February. It has been a while.

Now while up in Bury, my husband decides he is gonna pop into McDonald's since it is lunch time. Not a big deal in his estimation. It had been a while since he had enjoyed Ronald's artery clogging goodness and figured he was due a double cheeseburger ketchup only. Now here is his mistake. He took the order to go. He ate in the car and then left evidence of his betrayal. Now he had no clue of his betrayal. As far as he was concerned he had just ate lunch. No biggie.

Skip forward to 3:35 pm when my oldest daughter LaLa gets out of school. The FIRST thing she sees is a fast food bag with the golden arches emblazoned upon it. "You ate McDonald's?!!!" she wailed? "No, I didn't have McDonald's, your dad did. "But why didn't he take me?????" She was spiraling. "Hunny I am sure he would be more than happy to take you for lunch at McDonald's this weekend," I tried reasoning. She continued wailing and pouting for the next five minutes on the way home. Nothing I could say would calm her down. As she walked into the house she made a bee line for the living room where my unsuspecting husband was sitting.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!?!?!" She stood there in front of him crumpled a little at the waist with huge crocodile tears in her eyes. "Why didn't you let me eat McDonald's?"

My husband sat there stunned. Then looked at me for help. I stifled my laughter (cause seriously y'all it was funny) and left the room. Then eavesdropped from the foyer.

"Baby, we can go eat at McDonald's on Saturday," he tried to reason with her.

"But I want it now!" she continued to cry. She then crumpled up fully in a ball and wept.

It took cajoling and promises of treats to come to finally pacify the child. She was utterly heartbroken.

The lesson we all learned? If you are going to eat McDonald's....hide the damn bag!

17 really cool people who give a rat's patootie:

mo.stoneskin

If the bag is in the car then a bit of air freshener is a good idea to hide the stench. That smell is instantly recognisable!

Sandy

I've been hiding bags of that sort for years.....can't hide them from my waist unfortunately. Nice job, Kat! Don't forget to check out the award I have for you on my blog!!

Unknown

Great post; huge mistake on dad's part.

Jess

WOW, yeah, he totally effed that up like WHOA! I can't blame her though...if my friends eat Mexican food without me I have a similar reaction. Savannah is not gonna EVEN know what hit it...ohhhhhhhhhhhh I can't wait!!

Bobby G

Note to self, dont let your child see empty McDonalds bags or they will go ape shit. Duly noted...

Expat No. 3699

Yeah, mothers instintivley know this kind of shit. Dads? They learn the hard way

Anonymous

LOL Another example of man brain! :)

Sprite's Keeper

I am going to forward this to John. Luckily, we don't do McDonalds enough for her to recognize the bag and brand, but if he keeps a mess in his car, she will fling herself off the sanity cliff over something. "You got Starbucks?!? Where are my madelines!?" Nice.

Pseudo

I love that you let dad handle the aftermath on his own.

Kat
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat

@Pseudo Yes, I am totally willing to throw the man under the bus for flagrant boneheadedness! ;)

Irish Gumbo

He'd probably suck at being a spy...really, hide the damn bag!

Unknown

Reason? McDonald's banishes any such thing from most children's minds.

Kelly

Great guest post!! My daughter is 2.5 and already knows when she sees a shite bag (aka Chick-fil-a) that it is Chicken Nugget and French Fry time!

Lisa

I hope he made sure her burger was plain.

Captain Dumbass

Damn it. I want a Big Mac Meal now. Thanks, Kat.

Anonymous

Hahaha! My husband acts the same way when I get McDonalds!

© Two Dogs Running…all rights reserved

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP