Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Disney World, Here We Come! Batten Down the Hatches!

Well, it's done.

My "every two years cause that's the only way I can afford it" Disney trip is BOOKED!

I am beside myself with excitement. We'll even be there on my birthday! That makes me beside myself squared! I can't wait til June!

Yes, yes, it's corny. Shut up. I'm over the moon, mad crazy excited.

I absolutely love going to a place where literally, I forget all the bad stuff that goes on in my day to day life. The minute I step foot on Disney property, it all melts away.

There truly is something magical about that place.

I'm a Disney person through and through.

I know of people that their reaction to someone booking a Disney vacation is "eh, whatever" and that's fine.

But I'm not one of those people. I'm hardcore Disney. I'm more of a theme park and history buff than movies and TV shows and whatnot.

For those of you that aren't, don't bother telling me what you believe is wrong with Disney. I don't care. I've heard and read it all.

I still love it.

As most of you know, I actually was a Cast Member there from Feb '95 to Dec '95. I worked at Tony's Town Square Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. It was the one modeled after "Lady and the Tramp".

I LOVED working there. I met one of my most favorite people on Earth there. Hiya, Mimi! Love you! Can't wait to spend 5 fabulous days with you and the boys! So friggin' thrilled and excited.

Anyway, I've adored Disney ever since then.

LOML's first trip was back in 2005. She was 5 and had a blast! She remembers most of the trip. We went back when she was 7 and she remembers more of the trip than I do!

And...she totally gets Disney. I have managed to successfully turn her into a Disney fan.

Thanks to the lovely people at the IRS, we get to take our "every two years cause that's the only way I can afford it" Disney trip this year.

However, we're BARELY able to go. My return wasn't that great and due to the fact that I'm working a job that pays me just over HALF of what I was making before uprooting my life and living here, we haven't been able to save like we were before. I always tried to save $100 a month (for 18 months) in preparation for our trip. That way, we don't have to worry about scrimping and saving and taking Pop-Tarts to eat for breakfast and not eating at sit down restaurants and all that.

But, not this year. This year, we're able to go, but we will definitely be taking Pop-Tarts and snacks and whatnot.

Now, the past two times I've gone, I've done all the booking myself. Joined AAA to get a reduction on my room rate and purchased the tickets through the Disney store in the mall.

We don't do the dining plan because we eat so light. Seriously, mom, LOML and I can share a giant turkey leg, some fries and a couple of drinks and still not be able to eat it all. Plus, sitting down for a meal takes away from park time, y'all. Can't have that! We're not there for the food anyway.

So, since I've been blogging, I've "met" lots of nice people here and found out that Jen over at The Daily Mish Mash is actually an authorized Disney travel agent! How great!

In a casual tweet to her one day, I asked if she could give me a quote.

And......she said sure!

I threw out my (affordable) dream trip at her and asked her what she could do for me.

And wow! Did she not disappoint. She came through like gangbusters for me.

As most of you with televisions know, Disney is offering 3 nights free with a booking of 4 nights.

However, this wasn't long enough for us. We needed a longer stay.

The numbers I was coming up with were do-able, but EXTREMELY tight for our spending budget. I mean SERIOUSLY tight. Almost to the point where we would be miserable due to lack of good food and barely any souvenirs.

The numbers Jen came up with?

Totally rocked!!!

Don't get me wrong. It's still tight for us. Still need the Pop-Tarts....but, we were able to get 9 nights and 8 day park hopper passes for far less than what I could have gotten on my own.

Because she saved me some money, I was then able to book the Princess breakfast in Norway (my fav meal there EVER...the food that's served at the table is typical breakfast food...eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, etc....but the buffet that serves Norwegian food? TO DIE FOR!!! Smoked salmon, capers, onion, tomatoes, lefsa, etc......oh, man, I'm drooling just thinking about it!), get one sit down dinner at The Brown Derby in DHS and one sit down lunch at The Brown Derby in DHS (can you tell we like The Brown Derby?).

Before her numbers came back, that was not a possibility. And that would have bummed me out.

Not only did she come through on the numbers, but she also put up with my crazy requests.

She had booked my ADR (advance dining reservations) requests and gotten them for the days and times I had requested.

Then, I e-mailed her needing to add on 3 people (Mimi and her boys).

She did that for me lickety split.

Then, I e-mailed her again needing to add on one more person to that ADR (Mimi's mom is going to join us that day!).

With a smile in her Internet voice, she got right back to me with just a slight change in time and was able to get it done!

THAT, my friends, is customer service.

And best of all, the quote and all the work she did for me DIDN'T COST ME A CENT!

Since she's an authorized Disney travel agent, she gets paid by Disney...not the customer!

It's a win, win for everyone!

Because she did such an excellent job for me and performed some incredible customer service, I told her I'd do a blog post highlighting her and her skillz.

If you want to book a Disney Vacation through Jen, you can go here to her site: Enchanted Escapes.

She also does regular vacations to through the same site. But click here for regular vacations.

You can tell her I sent you. It doesn't get me anything, but it's still nice to drop my name.

You can feel important then! LOL!

I'm taking requests now for anyone that wants me to take a picture of a sign with their name on it at a specific place within the Disney parks.

My friend Jaymie wants me to take a pic at the Animation Academy.

I plan on posting them here on the blog after the vacation when I do a trip wrap up.

Later,

Mama Dawg

35 really cool people who give a rat's patootie:

Captain Dumbass

That is such a cool idea! I've never been to Disneyland though because my parents don't love me. They'd probably make up some blah de blah story about not being able to afford it, but whatever. They could have grown weed or something else to raise cash.

Heidi R.

DANG!!! you totally rock and i am totally jealous!! Sounds like so much fun. 8 days at disney....that is INSANE!!!! How could you miss anything??...so very very cool :) I am happy for ya!!!

Pseudo

So happy for you guys. I love Disney. Fun fact. My dad was a flim editor, but started off as a negative editor for animation at Disney. When I was little, he would bring home a reel to reel movie projector and show a Disney movie at our B-day parties.

Last time I took the kids, we stocked the room with snacks and woud take the monorail back for lunch and dinner in the room to save money.

Anonymous

Sounds fantastic! I'm thrilled for you and LOYL. My kids would love to go to DL, but we owe even MORE taxes this year. Ugh. No refund.

If we think we can swing it (doubtful), I'll check out Jen's gig. Great she saved you so much money.

I love Pop-Tarts!

Bijoux

You sound so excited that I can't help but be thrilled for you! But I don't get the whole "sign with your name on it" thing??

I just saw a commercial about getting a free day in one of the parks on your birthday?? Did you hear about that? You have to sign up ahead of time, so maybe check out the WDW site!

Anonymous

This is Mimi buzzzing in...hehe.. girl I am soooo freaking excited to not only see you after 11 years but that I get to be my Disney Nerd self with you....muahahhahahaha (evil laughter) and the boys and Mags...so freaking cool! I checked my maingate pass and the dates are not blocked out, so what I save in tickets and spending on spoiling you ladies and my boys..so be prepared! ..... later gator!

Mama Dawg

Mimi in da house! Girl! You commented. How cool.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

Arrgghhhhh...........I can't wait! I feel like I'm 13 again! Or, since we knew each other when we were 18-19, I feel 18 again! LOL!

Teri

How fun! That is going to be a huge blast!!

Jaden Paige

woooooooot wooooot! Those are super long woots, just for Disney. Cuz Disney rocks. I'm so excited for you, that you get to go this year! Have funnnn! :)

Amy

That sounds great. I am happy for you! I've never been, but I know my girls would LOVE to go.

My sister and her husband are taking their daughter next month. Lucky ducks!

Anonymous

I love how excited you are about this!!!
What a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it. LOML is one lucky girl.

Jen

You are so sweet to write this post. Thank you! I'm so glad everything worked out so easily.

Ok, here is my photo request: How about something on Splash Mountain--my favorite ride EVER!!! I'm not sure what you mean about a sign with my name on it, but anything SM would be great!!

scargosun

You have me excited and happy for you just reading this post! You shoudl put a countdown on your blog.

Swirl Girl

At disneyland in CA - if you go on the actual day of your birthday - admission is FREEE and you get FastPasses too and other goodies.
I don't know if Disney World has that...but it's worth checking out.
I love Disney - and Epcot and all of it!

have a great magical time!

mo.stoneskin

Does Disney in Paris count? Not that it matters because I haven't been either, but I have more chance of going. Thing is, I'm scared of Mickey.

Someone

Like the captain said, we were never taken to Disney Land, so sad. I'm so excited for you, hope you and LOML have a wonderful time, I want to take my kids there soon!!!!!

steenky bee

I love that employees must refer to themselves as "Cast Members". Also, I'm never taking the Dumbass to Disneyland with me because I don't love him either. You? Of course I do!

Jennifer and Sandi

Have a super time at Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Happy SP Day!

- Jennifer

derfina

I just heard that Six Flags is going bankrupt-figures, since I have a season pass. Guess that means we'll just have to do Disney this summer, too. Will keep this link for when we are ready to carve something in chalk.

Kat

Ok my request is to have my picture taken at Tom Sawyer Island in Frontier Land. I love that place even though it isn't a real "ride".

I am so happy for you that you got all that you wanted for your Disney trip. I know how important it is to you and LOML.

Anonymous

I love Disney too. You're going to have a blast! That's a loooooooong vacation! Lucky you! :)

Lo

crappity crap!!! THIS is the email that i kept forgetting to respond to and then couldn't find in the mess of my inbox. heh. uh, sorry 'bout the ignoring and all... it wasn't on purpose! i'm a flake! okay, the dates you sent me we'll only cross paths on ONE day!!! :( i'll try to swing it. i leave disney on june 2nd, my last full day in the parks is on june 1st. so. stoked. cannot even tell you. i'm just about exploding with the thrill of going. oh and they overbooked us so we were upgraded to the coronado springs resort place. excitement!! woot!! so stoked for this trip eeeee :) :) :) i'm SO GLAD that you and LOYL were able to go, and for so long too!!!!!

Trooper Thorn

The teacup ride will never be the same again.

Is there something wrong with me that my favorite exhibit as a kid (and continues to this day) is the Hall of Presidents? And I'm not even American!

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy

Awesome, I am SO glad that you are able to go and it sounds like she really hooked you up. I hope you guys have a BLAST!

Peggy

OK, I'm a lurker who has never commented before (but I bought some Etsy earrings from you and love them), but Disney turns me into a fool and makes be babble on your blog. I'm soo jealous. We've been 2X with our kids, but the last time was in 2007. They want to go back, but finances are too tight and my wonderful dog just needed $500 worth of surgery, so Mickey will just have to wait. And for us, that's the hook -- my 7 year old daughter is a Mickey freak. My girls like princesses too, but I love that, at the park, the Mouse is King. I will never forget watching her as a shy 3 year old, taking one look at him and throwing herself in his arms. I'm getting all goopy just thinking about it and the fact that she's now 7 and still loves him. Aw, man, I'm blubbering, but I'm just so jealous. As you know, you will have a magical time!

Rhea

You got some AWESOME deals and customer service, girlfriend!! WHen are you going? Cause you know I'm going too...

Outnumbered2to1

Wow...jealous. Not thinking we are going to make it this year. But have a freakin' blast! I know you will.

Anonymous

I'm sooooo jealous girl. Now I know how you felt when I went. I think we may just need to plan all future trips together to avoid this! Deal? I know you'll have a wonderful time! Don't forget LOML's book that I sent. I want full reports of how she used every page! LOL! Can I request more than one sign picture?

Jess

Hummm, a mere 4 hours from Savannah...thinking...thinking...hummmm...

Anonymous

You will be there in June? How awesome!! We shold be getting a call from the realtor re: the closing date and that will let us know when we will be going. Hmm..maybe I can contact Jen about pricing for my stay there.

HeatherPride

Wow, that is so exciting!!! If I could guarantee my kid wouldn't be a complete jackass in the park I would love to take him to Disney. But I'd hate to spend a bunch of $$ and have him freaking out the whole week. I hope you guys have an awesome time!!

Shannon

Have a great time!

But it's Disney World... so of course you will!

The Nice One

Whoooohooo!
Have fun! Just ran a half marathon there. I swear, I love Disney the more I go. SOoo fun...

Hope you have a fab time.

Lump

I have never been to Disney World. I NEED TO GO! And I have stock in Disney. yeah, doesn't make sense. well, I've been to Disney land and that just doesn't cut it.

Anonymous

Hi... just happen to cross your site...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

© Two Dogs Running…all rights reserved

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP